Category Archives: BuffetGo

New App Helps Save Wasted Food From Hitting Landfills

A new app is creating a stir in groups looking to prevent food waste. BuffetGo is an app that allows users to purchase leftover food from buffet style restaurants for huge discounts, up to 90 percent.

The app is simple to use, just enter your zip code to find local restaurants that participate in this program and then order your meal, some for as little as $1. You’ll be given a designated time for pick up, generally at closing time. You’ll be required to show your emailed receipt and then be allowed to fill a to-go container with buffet food.

This app was created in Finland back in 2014 and can now be found in 8 different countries around the world. The app launched in the United States back in September, but the mobile app is not yet available and US users must use the website for now. To date, the app says that it has saved more than 240,000 portions of food each day, that’s a lot of food that would have simply been wasted and sent to landfills each day.

The United States wastes up to 40 percent of food which is unacceptable considering 1 in 5 households have kids who don’t have enough to eat. Food that is wasted is tossed in landfills where it rots, often times creating methane gas that contributes to global warming.

Another perk to the BuffetGo app is the generosity of the company. For every meal sold through the app they will donate 20 percent of the profits to the United Nations World Food Programme, a group that helps fight hunger around the world. The remaining 80 percent is largely sent to the restaurant that made the food with the app itself keeping the rest. The precise split varies from restaurant to restaurant.

There are only a handful of eateries in some locations that participate but the app is planning to work towards expanding their offerings. New York City only has around 3 listed currently which may seem inconvenient for some people, but the rock bottom prices will hopefully generate business and help the app continue to grow. For more in depth information, check out this Huffington Post article.